Thursday, November 02, 2006

Dixon Architecture


As some of you have heard, I've starting working with Ken Dixon and his crew over at Dixon Architecture. I'm currently working on 2 monstrous precast concrete manufacturing facilities, some bank work, and a few other miscellaneous projects. I'm really digging my teeth into the large scale commercial work again after having spent the past year doing residential.

Posted here is my design for one of the manufacturing facilities. The client hadn't been satisfied with any of the sketches he had seen to date. So when I came on board I boiled down the numerous different looks and concepts that had been developed for the project so far. I kept some of the concepts, further developed some, and tossed some other out completely. The result was this sleek modernist design. Night and dawn views of a building like this do wonders to show off what might otherwise seem like a fairly boring concrete box, if seen only as a basic line drawing or in a sketchy form. Some projects show off much better with a 'warm fuzzy' sketch, but in this case the crisp photo-rendering definitely came through to really communicate the clarity of the design.





.